Wednesday, 18 March 2009

New York and Henry Darger.

I recently got back from a short trip to New York. I saw some really great art out there I really enjoyed my visit to the Society of Illustrators, The Jonathan Levine Gallery and my favourite of all, The Museam of American Folk Art. There was fantastic examples of folk art and outsider art and a small exhibition of Henry Dargers work. Since visiting the gallery I have become a huge fan of Darger and his art.

http://www.warhol.org/whats_on/images/detail054-055_main.jpg

Darger was a reclusive artist and writer who worked as a school janitor in chicago Illinois. His prolofic output of both writing and art came to light after his death in 1973. A 15,145-page, fantasy novel called "The Story of the Vivian Girls" was discovered as well as hundreds of large scale water colours that illustrated the novel. I watched this great documentary about Darger called "In the Realms of Unreal" its most definitely worth watching and gives a real insight in to the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment